Pages

11.16.2009

cross



the USGP mercer cup,   I did have a mechanical on Saturday, during the last lap my derailuer, clogged with grass, fold up and ripped itself off my frame.  Not too far from the pits, I ran, no one passed and Ali did a great bike exchange and I was on my way to a 10th place finish.  I'm really happy with that, not the 10th place, but I felt good, and road hard, and suffered greatly, everything I want from cross.  Sunday, more intense pain, ouch....    I wanted the hole shot and got it.  Out of the starting grid we went, and I pulled passed the faster guys, dropped it down a couple and pulled away, hitting the grass with a small lead.  I knew I did not have the strenght to hold it long, I kept the lead a couple of corners then drifted back to a mean, mean fight.  Between the Bastard Paul Wahner and the Street Punk Jeff Appeltan.   Mortal enemies.  I got out in front of the two and threw bomb after bomb after bomb at 'em.  I stood and accelerated on any solid patch of soil I could find.   I ran like a Gump, hop on, hop off and then a little bit more Gumping.  I had a finale effort of desception planned at the last second, a lapped rider in front of me.  I stood on the last dirtish road section and stood and drooled, and somehow got a bit of speed.  "gonna pass on your left" I kindly offered to the bloke, "on the right" he gargled back, with a wolf eye glance at me to reinforce the strenght and tone of his primal voice.  A coulpe of pedal strokes and I said "left" and doove the no mans line, a corner of deep slick mud, with one dry patch, just under an old decapitating broken off tree branch.  I took it. I slid and ducked and just pedal and I came threw with my head still on my shoulders.  A couple of more corners and then the Road to the Line.  Jeff went to the big ring and jumped as soon as his tires got some grip on the pavement.  I tried my lever and it just ground the teeth and would not climb up to the big ring.  I tried again, nothing, no luck.  I slam it down in the back and watched in vain as Jeff pulled away to take the battle, and 10th place, I was able to hold off Mr. Paul Wahner and got 11th.    It was the best race of my life.  Thank you Jeff and Paul.   Cheers to you Cyclocross, another hug to you Charles Erndl, the BBC Jefferson Reserve  was equal to a $10,000 prize check.  I'm still giddy, and my brain is still a bit off,  you know, a little "bees to Mexico"  Cheers, David Lowe.

No comments: