Pages

12.16.2010

passing time

I like maps.
and in the easy riding time of the year I try to make the most of my rides with a bit of exploring.   I search the maps to see what unfamiliar places lay withing my boundaries.
This is just down the road from where I live.   Now a decrepit row house philly neighborhood.  The bike school building is gone, its a 70's built firehouse.  The map did not lead me on a physical journey, no it took me, with great aide from the Internet on a reading journey back into time.


I guess that Google has digitized all these old books, and somehow my search, lead by the Bicycle school on the map, took me to the story of the bicycle and its arrival in Philadelphia.





http://www.google.com/books?id=DhIbAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA257#v=onepage&q&f=false

a nice read on a cold night, next to the fire, of course with a good beer.  cheers, d.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Woodside park has very few images . The Smithsonian has periodicals that mention it quite often , I think Major Taylor raced there and Thomas Eck managed it . One of the most famous 'Trainers" ( ...and ex horse trainer ... if you know what I mean ) . See , from Yale : http://www.yalecycling.org/history/ The pic of the captain is Woodside also .