Pages

9.02.2008

Running Sucks!!!!!

I am a cyclist, not a runner. I enjoy riding a bicycle, not running around in circles. But with cross around the corner I know I need to run a little bit to get those muscles acclimated. The one year I didn't run I pulled a hamstring and it sucked more then if I had ran a little. So here are some helpful hints to get you started.


1) You only have to do short runs. Start off by doing a walk/run/walk. Total time only has to be 15 mins. Each week add a little time to the run. Within two weeks you should be comfortable running for the whole 15 mins. The slow build will keep soreness to a minium.


2)Buy your shoes from a running store. You don't have to spend a fortune, but by going to a running store they will set you up with a pair of shoes that fit your feet. You didn't buy your bike at Wal-mart right?


3) Stay away from treadmills. Treadmills are to runners as trainers are to bike riders. Go run on your favorite trail. Go run on the beach during your end of summer beach trip. Run anywhere but a treadmill. Running on varied terrain will help strengthen the muscles in the ankle too.



4)Last but not least try to enjoy being active outside. Keep your eyes open as you might see things that you miss flying by on a bike!

No comments: