Pages

9.16.2008

How to Ride Your Bike Into a Lake (A Man Has Got to Know His Limitations)

During the Bear Creek Cyclocross race, there was a very large lake that the course looped around. There was a significant amount of mud in this area.

The race was 4 laps. On the first 2 laps, I rode through the mud. On the 3rd lap, I ran through the mud. (Being a fairly good runner this actually feel more efficient for me.) On the 4th lap, I must have been deliriously tired.

Coming up to the mud, I swore I saw a dry line right next to the lake. Maybe it was a mirage. I decided I'm taking it. As soon as I did I realized this line ends in the lake. Before I could dismount and start running, my bike wheels were in the lake. First I tried pedaling out of the lake. Not happening. I then thought I could do a dismount and run out of the lake. That would look somewhat PRO. All I needed was half a pedal stroke to dismount. Sure enough that stroke sent me into even deeper water and I fell right over right into the lake.

You can see the line I followed in the picture provided. The giant blue circle is the lake. The green is non-muddy course. The brown is the muddy course. The two black lines represent barriers and the red line represents the line I took on the fourth lap.

As Dirty Harry says, "A man has got to know his limitations." Perhaps, the last lap of the first cycloscross race of the season is not a good time to test them.

For my efforts the race promoter rewarded me with a Surly Flask. That was unexpected, but much appreciated.

3 comments:

d.lowe said...

What's next? some frozen fish juggling? cheers dl

alliwannadoisbicycle said...

i was wondering if someone took a dive! i almost did a few times...

it was a great course nonetheless.

I'm CJ- i liek your blog- i'll link yours to mine- see you at the next big races!

Unknown said...

Oh man, I was right next to you when you went in. I think I made a quick glance to make sure you weren't drowning and then rode on (sorry).

-Ian
Kissena