Pages

4.04.2010

“Yahooooo- Drink Mountain Dew! It’ll tickle yer innards!”

made the nice drive over to my kinship state of Wva to do some road racing.  As a kid I spent a lot of summer time in Wva fishing with Pa-paw and eating corn on the cob. ....  and drinking the old Will the Hillbilly Dew.

I pulled into the wonderful http://www.bestwesternwvirginia.com/hotels/best-western-mountaineer-inn/ and checked into my "sweet"

I kitted up and headed to the river for a nice 1.5 hr trail spin.
I smelled electric, and felt the ground humming.
and watched the sun behind the hills that would soon I'd soon be racing over.

Sunday, nice day, a bit windy and quite sunny.  The race course is incredible.  Climb after climb, with rollers inbetween.  Well marshalled corners,  Clean safe quite roads.  Cheap, only $20 enty fee.  The first bit I felt pretty good, the first climb fine, then  the key seperation took place on the next of the many major climbs, and I could not stay with the front group.  I rode pretty good but by far not quite good enough.  On paper it looks like a short race, 44 miles, but over half of those miles my eyes were spinning in my head like the wheels of a slot machine.  I really suffered a lot.  I was happy to just finnish the race.  My result, 11th in the 40+.  Gunnar beat me, I was amazed by him, not by his riding but by his graciouness and helpfulness before and after the race to the other riders.  A true champion of the sport.

Thats the Shogren pop-up church doing its bussines over on the left.
Go to West Va. to race, go get pummeled, incredible views, nice roads, and a great race series.

My moms in the kitchen and I've got a good hunger for dinner tonight.
cheers, my friends.  really go to Wva to race.  dlowe.

2 comments:

bicyclenerd said...

I see some feet on the laptop in the background...

d.lowe said...

those are my cold toes,...gotta a warm heart today