Pages

11.10.2013

c47

when I first thought of moving to Philadelphia, back in '86.   The art work that came to mind was the Clothespin '76 (Oldenburg).

I got down to the ride for PHL spookie cx a bit early,  swung by the pin to take some pics, and grab a pretzel and coke.   Before the group ride out to the course location.








Its a hard piece of public art to view, and especially hard to take a nice picture of.
Its stuck in a stubby skyscraper corner, its base obscured by landscaping brush.  In a cement planter, that hidden steps take you down to the underground train line.


I thought about this statue trying to figure it out,  an embrace?
Oldenburg said that the spring that held the pin together, makes up the number 76,
and 1976 was its commissioned year..... for the bicentennial in the USA, lots of art/events and decorations were done.
Many of the fire hydrants were painted as patriots, or like the flag; a field of blue, stars, stripes.
to Oldenburg's Bicentennial tribute  he stated "Not only does it have a crack in the middle but it resonates like a bell. If you bang it, it makes a lovely sound."   I don't think  many would be happy if I hopped up and in the planter box, made my way over to the towering Pin and gave it a bang.
....I like the idea.



America was a very strange, strange place those years.  The late '70's


Spooky is spooky, and its not, for me about writing about it , its something you've got to do sooner or later.
It took me till its 4th year to make it out to it.   I took off a day from official MAC  cx racing.  


the pin to me.   both sides pull away from each other bound by an outside agent, the coiled fulcrum.
It's a tool I use at work often,  commonly know as a C47, bullet, pins, or pegs.
It is used to attach gel/diffusion to a hot light.
Its a curious device, very clever, and it does look like two people clasped in some kind of embrace.

Well I enjoyed spookie a lot. 
had a grand day, and learned a bit too.


cheers, d.

No comments: