Pages

12.05.2016

The Remains

Pierre Renoir  “The pain passes, but the beauty remains.”



I have stopped myself from thinking past my last race.  and I am not ready to start recapping my season, or planning what I'll be doing after this season.  
This last weekend I raced Saturday at Rivertown, and Sunday made the drive down to Reston with Kelly to race Capital Cross. 

         photo: evans rohrbaugh

I am in a funk zone, a bit mentally run down, not getting up for the races.
Sunday the course was well worth the drive, the event, sparkly, lively.
I went off the line well with a good clip in, and sat 2nd wheel on to the pavement,
Chasing the leader a bit.
good 1st lap, with the lead group.

There are so many types of pain, ...from the efforts,...
good In the Zone pain,  Pain of trying to crank the engine over, but it just won't catch, just grinds.
Pain in attacking a climb, crushing it and your opponents.

Saturday at Rivertown,  i'd say the most European small america town feeling cross race in the schedule, I got 3rd.
I never found my rhythm, I chased, and looked over my shoulder, not to get caught.

Kelly Cline gave some good advice to me, just a thing, simple an easy, "make your own podium"
get the blokes together, and pose and get a snap, picture of the podium group.
I like that.  

Sunday at Capital Cross, I ended up Ninth, lost all my battles. Mental and Physical.
it was one of the better days at a cross race though, pre-riding, seeing old blokes, and a new wee little baby.    Traveling and racing with a friend.

Deep inhaling quiet calm breaths, smart workouts,
out and buy some traditional after the race at Limekiln Masters dark beer, suds to sip,
to toast our pains, hopefully, the best pain, the pain of winning, and being crowned the
PA State Cyclocross Champ!


Drink deep,
til the head back,
to finish that bottle,
a long blink, eyes shut,
short dream,
yet not quite
till that finale sip at dinner
at a full table
Nationals.


Cheers!
dlowe



from the Kelly Cline archive of smartly self made podium pics: Masters 45+
                                               photo: Stacie Freymann







No comments: