Pages

3.21.2011

black shoes and a collar

a while ago I was reading Wreckless Erics blog,  you know the bloke that wrote the song "Whole Wide World", you might of heard it in the film Stranger Than Fiction, a really interesting, good movie.  Will Ferrel strums a real nice version of it.


the wreckless eric version:


he talks about traveling in the US and how we dress:
"Or at least more style than Portland and just about any plane load of people flying across the United States. We had breakfast in the Hawaiian Dining Experience or whatever it's called, next to the Red Lion Hotel near the airport. The Red Lion is my favourite Portland hotel at the moment - it might be stodgy but it's a lot more restful than the trendy Jupiter Hotel in the heart of Portland's Hipster District.


Anyway, back there in the Hawaiian Dining Experience we were just about to tuck into our granola (with assorted yoghurts) when an old man walked past wearing skimpy baby-blue shorts pulled up over a middle-aged spread the size of a Texas ranch. He had a pale blue T shirt tucked into the shorts and the whole ensemble was topped off or perhaps bottomed out would be more apposite with white calf length socks and those horrible deck shoes that middle-aged Americans wear. It was a fleeting moment - he walked past the table and was gone and I was left with an impression of liver spots, blotchiness and cellulite. And quite possibly death and flatulance too. I exclaimed, 'Good God - that man's wearing his underclothes!' Everyone turned round and stared at me.

Why do men my age slob around dressed as teenagers? Baggy checked shorts and loose fitting XXL T shirts. There's no class, no dignity in it. It might be alright in the privacy of their own back garden but on an aeroplane??!!? It shows a lack of self respect and respect for other people. Men who dress like that are depressing to look at. Here's a good look for the airport:

Amy took the photo. Notice the contrast with the shorts wearing waddler on the right. I'm going to have to start The Campaign For Better Dressed Men. It's too depressing to see grown men dressed like eleven year olds at summer camp."
 
I agree, so I've stepped up a bit, in what I wear, not too much, just some nicer um-hum vegan "shoes" not sneakers, and a collared shirt, me, I go for Fred Perry's.    Its not so bad, do I always have to be wearing a bike t-shirt of some sorts and baggy shorts?


Thats it, no big deal.   cheers, d. 

No comments: