Pages

7.19.2008

The Hand






I’ve started. I’m out on the cross bike doing real work outs. Went to Belmont Plateau to ride. Lots of open space, lots of nooks and cranies to explore.

One of the many things that is sort of cool about philly is its history.

You see, where I was riding once stood the hand of the
Statue of Liberty. I think it was traveling about the country trying
to raise funds to build the statue.
It was on display during the 1876 Centennial Fair.


"The arm and hand of Bartholdi's 'Liberty Enlightening the World' were all that had been completed of the colossal sculpture in 1876, and figured prominently as a popular attraction. Literature available at the kiosk at the base informed visitors of the details of Bartholdi's plan and invited subscriptions of ten cents to one hundred dollars toward payment for a pedestal for the completed statue. " http://libwww.library.phila.gov/CenCol/index.htm




The fair was quite a big deal,












surprisingly, not much of it still stands today.

But I have to say I always get a cold fear, chilling me when I ride past this.








The Catholic Total Abstinence Fountain.







Yeah its still there too. I won't make eye contact with any of the statues.
I got my workout done coasted over to La Colombe and had a nice Ice Coffee to calm my nerves, you know some "Il dolce far niente" . Got home, showered then went to Dock Street for some nice fresh beer, a rye IPA, and pizza. http://www.dockstreetbeer.com/index.html

No comments: